Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Brand New Baby Ball Python!!!

Greetings Everyone!
I know everyone (educators and students) are getting ready for the Christmas Break in just a few days.  It has been a while since my last post, which was on Halloween.  Things have been pretty busy during the month of November - with shows all over the place at elementary, middle, and high schools.  However, everything has now come to a halt as far as shows go and the real work begins - staying at home with four very energetic kiddos.  I'll post a few cute kid pics at the end of this blog - however, I first needed to share some very exciting news with everyone.  


A few months back, one of our ball pythons laid several eggs, but only one was actually fertile.  The mom and dad were both "normal" looking but they also both carried the genes for both albino (Nanner Puddin' from my Safair Show) and piebald (Smiley from my elementary show), so the kids had a 1/16 chance of being an albino pied (which is yellow and white like an albino, but also has solid white sections like a pied).  However, once we saw that there was only one egg that was "good" our hopes of actually getting an albino pied were very low.  

After almost 2 months of incubating, the snake finally slit the egg open enough for me to take a peek inside and I could see yellow and white, which was exciting as I knew that it was at least an albino.  I would have been happy with an albino as it would have been our very first albino hatched by us.  However, when I came back the next morning and looked into the container, the baby ball had climbed out of the egg and was yellow and white...with a patch of solid white on the tail end - we had an ALBINO PIED!!!  To say that we were excited would be an understatement.  Below are a few pics!
Here's a pic of mom and dad - mom is the big one.
And here's the little one poking out the egg - I could see the yellow and white and got a little excited!
This was the next morning after it came out the egg.  Albino Pied!!! 
After it's first shed - quite a bit brighter afterwards!
Here it is eating it's very first meal - it's always good to get the first meal out the way as baby ball pythons can take a while to get the hang of it.

So there you have it - some very exciting news in the world of breeding ball pythons!  In other news, Viktor Lucian (pronounced VEEEEEKKKTOOOOR LOOOOOOOSUUUUN in a Transylvania accent - please see two previous blogs for more info regarding name) is growing nicely - he's now starting to focus a little and smile and coo at us.  Below are a few cute kid pics for everyone to enjoy!
Their brother wouldn't sit still long enough to be included in the pic.


Reagan wanted to hold the big snake for a pic.

Toby hugging a, most likely, terrified pied boy.

People say Viktor and I look alike - especially after I shaved off my beard.

Making Christmas Cookies!
That's all for now - lots more to share in the next blog - coming soon!

No comments: