Saturday, June 29, 2013

When in Rome...Take Meaningful Romantic Photos!

Greetings Everyone,
Between shows in Rome and Rockmart, I was able to take a quick trip across the street to Shorter University, formerly known as Shorter College, our Alma Mater.  Not only did we go to college there, but we also met each other during our freshman year, dated the next few years, and then got married during spring break of our senior year in 2002. 

Shorter University - where Lindsay and I met and was educated in all things biologically related. 
Now, I know you are all wondering the same thing...exactly how did we meet?  I'm glad you asked.  I will tell you.  Lindsay and I met in the usual way - she saw me sitting at a table eating during lunch and thought I was quite handsome and decided to sit down (at least I'M pretty sure that was why she sat down).  We asked the usual questions, "What is your major?", "Where are you from?", etc.  Come to find out, she was from near Augusta as was I, so, being the trusting person that she was, she later asked if I could drop her off at her exit the next time I went home and then pick up her on the way back so that she wouldn't have to drive thru Atlanta traffic.  On the way we talked about our skating skills (of which I later learned were a tad bit over-exaggerated on her part, but that's another story) and listened to some Bon Jovi.  She thought my name was Michael the whole trip home (she admitted this later).  Good thing for her I introduced myself to her dad before she did - saving her extreme embarrassment and awkwardness. 

Now fast forward.  After getting back to college Lindsay pursued me and we eventually went on a date to a skating rink.  This was the start of a college tradition - almost every week we went to the skating ring for our date (along with DQ after church on Sunday nights), and Lindsay eventually learned how to skate properly - and she still has the scars to prove how much work she put into impressing me with her skating skills. 

I officially asked Lindsay out at about 2am on October 14th 1998 after talking to her for hours trying to get up the courage.  The previous few hours were spent at the spot in the photo below - although the stairs use to go down all the way - evidently some renovations have taken place since our college experience. 

I remember talking a LOT about my dog Rusty - who was the best dog ever - a collie - just like Lassie, only better. 
Then, at 2am sharp, I asked her out at the steps of her dorm and she answered, "I thought you'd never ask."  I knew she couldn't resist me...

"I thought you'd never ask...in front of my dorm...at 2am"
Yep, that those steps are where we officially started dating.  Over the next few years we did a lot of skating and even more studying and lab work - mostly in the following building - Rome Hall.  I still look back and think about how much I hated dissecting a cat in that building for weeks and weeks and weeks.  That was when I decided that Lindsay is the doctor in the family - not me.  Disgusting stuff.  I did, however, enjoy the owl pellets, shark dissections, and fruit fly experiments. 

Rome Hall - where all the science geeks hung out.  Lots of 4 hour long labs AFTER classes were over.  I'm just thankful I'm still alive after a semester or two of Organic Chemistry Labs - not a favorite of mine. 
Now, as far as proposing - that was done at the end of the building above (Rome Hall).  I had it all planned out - I would take Lindsay to the end of the building looking out over the city of Rome and propose - at which time she would be extremely excited and happy.  It pretty much went just as I planned.  She said "yes" and I must say, it was the best decision of her life...I mean, the best decision of my life to ask her...and also the best decision of her life. 

The bushes have grown up since we were there.  She said "yes" to my marriage proposal right on that porch. 
Specifically right here...minus the plants.
The view is a little smaller now thanks to all the trees getting so big.  Back then you could see out over Rome.  It was very romantic...just like me. 
And that my friends are some of the meaningful spots from Lindsay and my college years - there were many  more as well, but I didn't have time to visit all of them - like the skating rink where Lindsay destroyed her knees trying to impress me, the church where we got married and served as youth pastor the last two years of college, the weight room where we got buff, the lake where we went roller blading, or the theater where we watched Armageddon.  Those will have to be saved for another blog. 

Oh, but no blog about Shorter would be complete without a picture of MY dorm - Roberts.  I was too afraid to go in when I visited last week as I didn't want to smell the smell of a guy's dorm.  It is not a pretty thing.  But I did spend 4 years in this building - and several times I had to climb through the window of the second floor balconey to get to my room, which was beside the main room, because my roommates had left our room and locked the door while I was in the shower - so, yes, I was climbing through the window wearing just a towel.  But that is also a story for another blog. 

This was where I spent my early, early mornings after Lindsay and I got back from skating.  Curfew was at 2am on the weekends.  So, after sitting on the steps of Hazel (Lindsay's dorm) I would walk back to Roberts and play video games until the very wee hours of the morning (and by video games, I mean either wrestling or Resident Evil). 

My room was to the left of the doors on the second floor balcony. 
I remember this being green several times over the years...and filled with bubbles...
And there you have it - some special memories from my time at Shorter and my visit there between shows last week.  It's always a treat to get to go back to Rome where I met my sweetheart. 

Until next time,
Chad

No comments: