Thursday, October 24, 2013

Some Lovely Pics from N. Gwinnett Middle!

Greetings Everyone,
Just wanted to share a few quick pics sent in by Ms. Erin at N. Gwinnett Middle from our program a few weeks back.  I love the graphics that she put around the edges of the photos - blood for the Red Death, as well as bats and spiders!  She also had a lovely display promoting the show.  I'm looking forward to going back in May for our Grimm's Fairy Tale program - and they are already on the calendar for October 2014!

Here's a quick comment from Ms. Erin about the "Authors of Mystery and Horror" program:

"My display of books about the authors and people discussed in Mr. Crews' program was empty by the end of Day 1!  The students have been coming in requesting materials to read by these authors even now 2 weeks after Mr. Crews visited our school.  My favorite part was how hooked the students were from the first moment of the presentation.  I've never seen 8th grade students so excited about a guest speaker.  All of the materials on the stories/authors have been checked out since his visit.  He encouraged the students to look at literature that is typically ignored or groaned about have to read."

A most lovely display promoting the programs! 
The Red Death strikes again - complete with dripping blood!

I think the bats make this so cool looking!

Reading a book...or reading a mind?!?

And here's a summary of LA teachers comments:
"An absolutely perfect match for our quarter 2 literature unit.  Very impressive recitation of "The Raven" and "The Tell-Tale Heart."  Levitating the table was awesome.  Your energy, the illusions, the music, the audience participation was our favorite part.  Kids who might not ordinarily check out books were doing so.  It was very engaging and totally enthralling for students.  Thank you so very much for your two days here at NGMS.  We thoroughly enjoyed every minute!  Please come back at the same time (next year)!" 

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Scary Stories at Muller Middle School!

Greetings Everyone!
Today I had the opportunity to perform for the students and staff at Muller Middle School for the first time.  It was also a reunion of sorts, as the media specialist, Ms. Brandon, was formerly at Polo Road Elementary, and I had performed for her several years earlier with my "Catch the Reading Bug Safari Show".  After the show I got a quick picture in front of the book display (which had been almost completely wiped out of all the Poe books) with this awesome Edgar Allan Poe Steampunk Edition!  All the artwork is "Steampunk inspired."  I love it! 

After getting home, I learned that Ms. Brandon had already updated her blog with a quick write up and photo collage from the shows that morning.  I have posted a link to it below - go take a quick look! 

Muller Middle School Blog

A nice spooky display of books.  I am holding the Poe Steampunk Edition! 

Here I am trying to look strange and mysterious...but probably just look strange.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Frighteningly Educational Display!

Greetings Everyone!
The fall season is in full swing and the travel and performance schedule is crazy!  I wanted to take a moment to brag about the display that the Stallings Island Media Specialist, Ms. Anna, put up to promote the show during this lovely Halloween season.  Besides the pictures that you will see below, there was also clips from the various authors and stories on the flat screen TV outside the library which students could look at as they went by.  I just loved all the decorations - some of which weren't even about my program - they were just great and creative spooky displays to go with this time of year.  Enjoy the photos below!

Monday, October 14, 2013

Some Photos From a Rare October Elementary School Program!

Greetings Everyone,
October is in full swing and it's 99% booked with middle and high school programs.  However, below are some GREAT photos from the other 1% of shows from this past week.  The program being performed is my "Dig Into Reading Safari" program.
Don't try this at home kids!

One of my all time favorite pics!  A great crowd! 

My everyday expression...

Sarah, the 18 year old female Rose Hair Tarantula.

One of the Emperor Scorpions.

She was a great volunteer.

The Hissing Cockroach was trying to escape!

Showing off the muscles...

You would be surprised how easy it is to trick someone into getting locked up...

Getting their revenge on me...

Here's where the  magic happens!

This hat seems quite appropriate...

I look like I'm rapping...

They are either very excited or they decided to do a quick workout..

The star of the show...the snake...not me.

The VIP top sellers getting an up close and personal view.

More VIP access...

He loves to be petted.